How To Prevent Heartburn During Pregnancy
It’s time to eat and you’re afraid of what’s coming next. Burning, heaviness, food that seems to go out of the stomach … Many pregnant women suffer from it and it is quite unpleasant. Acidity or heartburn during pregnancy is one of the most common discomforts of this stage, often inevitable.
But can we do anything to prevent heartburn during pregnancy? There are certain “tricks” that, hopefully, hormones, will serve to prevent or at least minimize the discomfort caused by heartburn.
Burning, heartburn or heartburn is a digestive discomfort that is explained by various causes, from the increase in the size of the uterus (which leaves less space to the stomach) to hormonal factors that produce gastric alterations. Luckily, it usually disappears after giving birth.
And if we follow a healthy lifestyle during pregnancy, including proper eating habits, we can prevent heartburn. What foods are prohibited? How should the eating routine be? How can I avoid heavy digestions? We see it below.
Tips to prevent heartburn during pregnancy
Here are some tips to prevent burning during the months of pregnancy, healthy tips that will help reduce this and other discomforts.
- The excess of food is an important factor when producing the acidity, therefore you have to avoid “binges” and copious meals.
2. It is better to eat several times throughout the day and in smaller quantities than to arrive at a very hungry meal and overeat.
3. Eat slowly, chewing food well to facilitate digestion.
4. Avoid those foods that are not recommended, among other things because they increase the level of acidity, such as very fatty, fried, spicy, very spicy foods …
5. Drinks such as coffee, sodas with caffeine, very sugary, with bubbles … also encourage burning.
6. It may not be the best stage to take citrus, only if you do not produce acidity (combines the orange juice with milk, for example, to minimize risks, although according to some authors milk would not serve to reduce acidity).
7. To avoid irritation of the stomach wall, it is advisable to avoid very hot or very cold foods.
8. Wear comfortable clothes that do not tighten the belly.
9. Do not go to bed if you just eat or dine (for a nap or at night). For the nap break, maybe we should be somewhat incorporated and do the digestion in this way. At night, we should try to have dinner at least two or three hours before going to bed and that dinner is light.
10. Many times our pace of life prevents us, but try to eat quietly and without haste, taking the necessary time and in a quiet place.
11. Exercise regularly to maintain your ideal weight and take care of the level of anxiety, avoiding stress in pregnancy.
Milk has traditionally been used to relieve the burning. Although its use is debatable according to different authors since it can also stimulate the production of stomach acid. A little milk or a natural yogurt worked well for me, but above all, I did not eat too much (at dinner time, it was the “critical” moment).
Regarding drugs, we know that they should be avoided during pregnancy as much as possible and in particular. Some antacids during pregnancy have been linked to childhood asthma.
These tips you cannot prevent heartburn during pregnancy. This discomfort gets to affect you excessively in your day to day (vomiting, weight loss …) consult the gynecologist. As there are certain medications that They can help you and they are not harmful at this stage.