How To Make The Ultimate Zebra Sponge Cake – Video Recipe
In this opportunity, we will make the kitchen a game of creativity with the elaboration of the zebra sponge cake. Come … to join the children in the game, they will love to accompany us to make this delicious cake!
In addition to sweet and fluffy, the zebra cake is very nicely decorated, with its veins of vanilla and cocoa. But how do we achieve it?
Everything is a matter of technique. The preparation is simple. The concentration and care in the detail must be saved by the time we pour the mixture into the mold. Of the rest, the process is easy.
We have prepared a very successful sponge zebra cake recipe. Just have the ingredients and respect the measures to get a nice dessert, perfect for breakfast and snacks.
It will be a delight to see the faces of the children when cutting the portions and to notice that their culinary work resembles the stripes of the zebras. A luxury!
Let’s start by describing the ingredients that are not many and for sure we already have them in the pantry, waiting for our culinary ingenuity to manifest.
Have you ever wondered how to make a zebra cake?
- 175 grams of butter or sunflower oil
- 250 grams (1 ¼ cup) of sugar. We can replace it with stevia sweetener or honey. In that case, the measurements change.
- 250 grams of confectionery flour sifted.
- 1 cup of milk We also have the option of vegetable milk or orange juice
- 1 Teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cocoa powder or 90 grams of dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon baking powder or leavening.
All our ingredients must be at room temperature. Similarly, try to find low-fat substitutes with high nutritional content so that -deploying its bad reputation- the cake becomes a healthy snack alternative for the family.
Simple preparation of the zebra cake:
- We preheat the oven to 180ºC
- In a deep bowl, add the butter and begin to beat with a kitchen utensil, until the color of it clears.
- Add the sugar little by little and continue beating until the beans are diluted about 3 minutes.
- We add a cup of liquid milk (or orange juice) and then add, one by one, the five egg yolks.
- Now, we slowly add the 250 grams of baking flour, with a teaspoon of baking powder.
And egg whites? What will we do with them? In another container with a pinch of salt, beat them to form peaks, but without losing their moisture. Finally, we put our mixture of zebra sponge cake, whipped egg whites, and vanilla essence.
- Separate the mixture into two equal portions.
- To one of the mixes of the zebra sponge cake, we add three scoops of cocoa or the 90 grams of dark chocolate melted to the Bain Marie.
- In the center of a previously prepared mold, approximately 22 centimeters in diameter, place three tablespoons of the vanilla mixture and on it, the same amount of dark cocoa mixture. We continue to alternate the mixtures until they are completely poured into the mold.
- How long should we bake our zebra cake? We take the oven for 50 minutes or until the stick test, it goes dry.
Did you see how simple it is? Go ahead and prepare it at home with your own variations. You can add a touch of liquor to one of the mixes, oatmeal, nuts, yogurt … Anyway, what you can think of. This is a very versatile recipe.
The zebra cake is a fast, different and economic option, ideal to always have in our kitchen a good cake for snacks, breakfast or kill those snacks that occasionally give us sweets in the middle of the day.
Accompany your ration of zebra cake with a glass of milk, a delicious and refreshing shake, a cup of coffee or infusion. Enjoy it!